Christmas Tree Farming in New York State - It's a Year Round Job
Did you know that 1 acre of real Christmas trees
removes over 500 pounds of carbon dioxide each and every year? That means New York State Christmas tree growers remove 2,125 tons of CO2 each and every year. That's the weight of the space shuttle!
The same one acre of real Christmas trees produces 1,000 pounds of O2. So when you are out choosing your perfect Christmas tree take a deep breath! 1 acre will provide the daily oxygen requirement for you and 17 members of your family and friends.
17,000 acres of traditional Christmas trees are grown by New York State farmers each year, providing 5,740 tons of oxygen. That's the weight of 25.5 Statues of Liberty!
OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS:
- Growing Christmas trees provide a habitat for wildlife.
- Christmas trees remove dust and pollen from the air.
- Artificial trees will last for six years in your home, centuries in a landfill.
- Christmas trees can be recycled.
- When chipped, the real tree can be burned as fuel, used as mulch, or composted, thus being used as a renewable resource of energy, stabilizing
the soil to prevent erosion, or producing new soil & nutrients.
- Christmas trees & limbs are used to provide fish habitat in ponds and used on beaches to control erosion.
- 2-3 seedlings are planted for every harvested Christmas tree.
- 1 Acre of Christmas trees provides the daily oxygen requirements of 18 people.
- Young Christmas trees produce more oxygen than older Christmas trees, thus cutting of older trees is encouraged.